[b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Dec 23 11:36:18 EST 2004

On 23/12/2004 16:20, Heard, Christopher wrote:

>... If anything, the
>presence of anachronisms in the text (e.g., place-names not otherwise
>demonstrably in use until the Iron Age, references to kings of Edom and
>Israel, etc.) indicates that the book of Genesis is much _younger_ than its
>contents and even than Moses.
>

>... If Moses "updated" older documents
>to "the Hebrew of his day," he overshot the mark and "updated" them to Iron
>II Hebrew. ...

All of this is simply evidence that Genesis has undergone some kind of
redaction or editing since Moses' time. None of it is evidence against
the hypothesis that the text as we have it is substantially as written
by Moses, with some updating of the language and of place names.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/