[b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Dec 23 00:47:00 EST 2004

George:

What I pointed out is that Jack's assertion that Akkadian is the
oldest written language cannot be proven, as other languages, even
very early on, indicated that their prefered writing materials were
perishable, while that of Akkad were preserved. The accident of
preservation does not equal earliest authorship.

I have heard twice, in lectures, not written, that Genesis
preserves indications that it is a collection of older writings,
including sources that were ante-diluvian. Assuming that this
assertion is correct (even if just to play the devil's advocate),
the question is, did Moses translate these documents into the
Hebrew of his time, or did he merely collect and edit the documents
to make Genesis? If the latter, then Genesis indicates that Hebrew
is the oldest language on earth. If the former, then we can't tell
which was the original language. (A third option, one which is
unhistorical and equally philosophical, says that Genesis was
written far later than its claimed authorship.)

claim that Hebrew as the oldest language had clear historical
proof? Did I not admit that my views, from an academic standpoint,
were speculative? Yet, the very fact that my questions can be
raised without being disproven, does that not show that Jack's
assertions are not as solid as he claims? In short, is there not a
lack of evidence for any claim as to which is the oldest written
language?

Karl W. Randolph.