[b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Dec 22 20:44:43 EST 2004

Jack:

You are confusing oldest surviving with earliest written.

While it is true that the earliest specific mention of writing in Hebrew is that of writing long books to be carried by nomads, it does not mention which writing materials used, though presumably ink on parchment.  Here's the speculation part, if Moses in the mid second millennium BC was using ink on parchment, what was to prevent his having older texts, also ink on parchment, possibly already copies of copies, that recorded all the way back to Adam? If this speculation is true, that would make parts of Genesis older than the oldest surviving Akkadian writing. It is only that ink on parchment did not survive, while fired clay bricks did, that leaves us with Akkadian writing surviving while possible Hebrew writing did not.

There is no evidence that this speculation is either correct or wrong. However, there are clues in Genesis that Moses used older manuscripts to make his Urgeschichte, original history, and that those manuscripts may have had their authors going back to Adam. If true, that means your whole development scheme below is wrong. But clues do not equal evidence.

As for "Proto-Hebrew", I'm not Mr. Smith, but I think he means the oldest Hebrew.

Karl W. Randolph.