[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Dec 22 19:37:28 EST 2004

Peter:

I noticed that http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=paraphrase has the entry:

Main Entry: 1para·phrase
Pronunciation: 'par-&-"frAz
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, from Latin paraphrasis, from Greek, from paraphrazein to paraphrase, from para- + phrazein to point out
1 : a restatement of a text, passage, or work giving the meaning in another form
2 : the use or process of paraphrasing in studying or teaching composition

Definition #2 we can ignore.

I looked up a few dictionaries on line, and they all gave the same definition. None of them restricted paraphrase to within a language. Because sometimes a direct translation comes up gibberish, I noticed that when I worked as a translator, I always had to restate something in a form other than a direct translation to give an understandable meaning. I was one of those translators who does not like deviating from the original text, but many times I had to in order to make the message contained in the original understandable to those speaking the target language. That has always been my understanding of "paraphrase".

Karl W. Randolph.