[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Dec 22 17:06:43 EST 2004

On 22/12/2004 21:53, Jim West wrote:

> At 04:49 PM 12/22/2004, you wrote:
>
>> This is true if you accept Jim's idiosyncratic definition of
>> "paraphrase". I do not.
>

> I wasn't aware that the dictionary carried idiosyncratic definitions.
> Whether or not you accept a definition is your own business of course-
> but it is your understanding that is idiosyncratic.

Jim, earlier I quoted a dictionary definition of "paraphrase" which is
quite different from the one you are working on. On that definition it
is certainly not true that "all translations are paraphrases", as stated
by Karl, for as George pointed out the paraphrase is implicitly within a
single language. But I realise that dictionaries differ. Do you have
support for your definition from a respected dictionary?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/