[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Dec 22 15:55:11 EST 2004

Jom:

All translations are paraphrases, at least to a certain extent.

First of all, on a grammatical basis, what is good grammar in one language often is nonsense in another. Already by adjusting the word order, one does a low level of paraphrasing.

Secondly, and more importantly, lexemes often have meanings in one language that have no equivelant in another. Sometimes it will be broader, including meanings that are rendered by two or three different lexemes in the target language, sometimes narrower, sometimes a sentence is required to explain a concept that one word does in the originating text. This is not even counting figures of speech, literary devices and euphamisms.

Because of these problems, all translations are paraphrases.

These same problems exist even working as a lexicographer, let alone translater.

Karl W. Randolph.