[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 and order of ideas

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Wed Dec 22 13:37:43 EST 2004

On 12/22/04 6:38 AM, "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard at ont.com> wrote:
> What makes me
> sympathetic with Doug's idea is that a man obviously deposits seed.
> Since ancients could see that, whether they understood anything about
> an egg would not be so important. They would have seen that the man
> planted seed in the woman. So the Hiphil of ZR( may have been a term
> to indicate that this seed germinated.

Yet our ideas about what "ancients ... would have seen" is not a solid basis
on which to make philological claims. Are there any _attested_ uses of the
verb ZR( taking a masculine subject and meaning "to impregnate"? I can't
find any in the Tanakh. Am I missing them?

Chris
--
R. Christopher Heard
Assistant Professor of Religion