[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"

C. Stirling Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 22 11:29:08 EST 2004

On 12/22/04 8:09 AM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org> wrote:

 He will crush your head, and you
 will strike his heel." (New Living Translation)

>  I would like to challenge you to demonstrate where it is
> inaccurate, at least in the second sentence which is the relevant one.
> Is your point the use of two different verbs where the Hebrew verb is
> the same?

Well in terms of relevance it seems legitimate enough to use two different
verbs in a meaning based translation. The action taken in regard to a head
has different consequences than the same action taken in regards to a heel.

Given the objectives, target audience, intended use, of the NLT I don't see
anything wrong with this.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew