[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 and order of ideas

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Wed Dec 22 11:07:21 EST 2004

Dear Moshe,

>At 08:51 AM 12/22/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>>Dear Moshe,
>>>It is definitely a strange usage here, which is what the Rabbis
>>>seem to have picked up on. I recall seeing an article (I think in
>>>BR) about women having seed.
>>HH: Even if the ancient Jews did understand about women producing
>>eggs, that is not chiefly what Lev 12:2 concerns, I think. It
>>refers to a woman conceiving and bearing a child. Obviously a woman
>>could produce eggs but not conceive; producing eggs does not
>>automatically lead to giving birth. So the relevant point probably
>>was, in in many other texts, that she conceived and bore. The
>>Hiphil of ZR( here would seem to include the implanting of the male
>>seed in the wall of the uterus.
>

>You can't have it both ways. In one verse argue it means normal
>offspring and in another an offspring from a virgin birth.

HH: I was not arguing that in Genesis 3:15 there is a virgin birth. I
said I was sympathetic to Doug's idea that in Lev 12:2 the verb could
mean "conceive." I did not mean to take my sympathy all the way back
to his argument about Gen 3:15. Sorry about the misunderstanding. I
was convinced by other arguments, perhaps from you, that a woman in
the OT could have "seed" in the sense of "descendants." I thought
that was helpful information, because often the Gen 3:15 passage
seems to be taken in isolation and viewed as strange because of the
mention the woman only. The other data was a worthwhile corrective to
that tendency.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard