[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Dec 22 11:09:19 EST 2004

On 22/12/2004 15:47, Jim West wrote:

>> "From now on, you and the woman will be enemies, and your offspring
>> and her offspring will be enemies. He will crush your head, and you
>> will strike his heel." (New Living Translation)
>

> A genuinely dreadful "translation".  Its actually a paraphrase and
> about as useful as Strongs.

This is NOT a paraphrase, in the technical sense. The New Living
Translation is explicitly a translation from the original languages, and
as such differs from the Living Bible which was a paraphrase, i.e. an
adaptation within the same language, of the American Standard Bible.

But if by "paraphrase" you are using the colloquial sense "inaccurate
translation" (and thus repeating your first sentence in your second
one), I would like to challenge you to demonstrate where it is
inaccurate, at least in the second sentence which is the relevant one.
Is your point the use of two different verbs where the Hebrew verb is
the same?

>> "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy
>> seed and her seed; he shall crush thy head, and thou shalt crush his
>> heel." (Darby)
>

> This is just the KJV.

No, KJV has "bruise" rather than "crush".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/