[b-hebrew] red heifer

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Wed Dec 22 11:00:11 EST 2004

In a message dated 12/22/2004 5:45:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il writes:

> All very intersting, but my question was, why the translators took such a
> general term as "cow" and translated it as the more narrow "heifer". Did
> they have any reason to think that this particular cow was special in any
> way, besides its color?

It seems to me that the red cow was something left over from the pagan
religion of the Canaanites.  I recall that a certain goddess was called "the red cow
of Baal", perhaps Baalath, herself,  but I would have to check that.
Unfortunately, I am leaving on vacation today and don't have much time-- but I
remember thinking of the "red heifer" when I read this about the goddess.  These
deities, BTW, were also worshipped in the north of Egypt.  Anyway, the color of
the cow seems to have had some significance.