[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 and order of ideas

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Wed Dec 22 10:56:20 EST 2004

Dear Moshe,

>>HH: What follows is not the Tanakh, and the grammar of the passage
>>is debated (the KJV thought that Sarah conceived seed), but the
>>best interpretation of Heb 11:11 follows the path of the NIV:
>

>You cannot be seriously arguing from Greek usage to Hebrew meaning.

HH: Why not? I am quoting from a letter to the Hebrews. The letter is
presumed to have a Jewish person for its author. You speak as though
Jewish culture did not transcend language barriers. The other day I
had the oil changed in my car. As I left I wanted to give the man who
did the work a Christmas tract (pamphlet). I asked whether he
preferred one in Spanish or English. He said, "It does not matter.
They're the same." Obviously he was a person who read both languages,
but he implied that the message was essentially the same, whatever
the language. I am supposing that the case was comparable in the
ancient world. It may be that Jews used Greek in one context, Aramaic
in another, and Hebrew in another, but the culture itself would be
much the same. And the ideas expressed in one language would have
their counterparts in another language. If the Hebrews spoke of
Abraham sowing seed in Sarah in Greek, they might speak and think
similarly in any other language they happened to use.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard