[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Wed Dec 22 10:47:28 EST 2004

At 10:34 AM 12/22/2004, you wrote:
>The word for "bruise", shûph,  is translated in a different way in
>other translations:

I'm not at all sure what "shûph" is supposed to be.  Is it some
reference to Strongs or the like?  If so, Strong's is not exactly the best
source of information on hebrew and greek word meanings.  Further, to base
exegesis on it instead of the Hebrew text itself is sort of like eating
your dinner after someone else has chewed it and spit it in your mouth.

>"From now on, you and the woman will be enemies, and your offspring and
>her offspring will be enemies. He will crush your head, and you will
>strike his heel." (New Living Translation)

A genuinely dreadful "translation".  Its actually a paraphrase and about as
useful as Strongs.

>"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed
>and her seed; he shall crush thy head, and thou shalt crush his heel." (Darby)

This is just the KJV.

>I'm not a native English speaker, but If I'm not wrong, there is a big
>difference between "bruise" and "crush". Which is the real meaning (or
>meanings) in Hebrew?

The Hebrew word is "shuph" and means "to trample" or "to stomp".  Now, like
everyone,  I've had my foot stepped on and a bruise left.  It is not, then,
a question of "either / or" here but rather "both / and".  If you stomp on
something hard enough you leave a bruise.  "Crush" is a bit of an
overstatement- but I suppose its possible because if you stomp on something
hard enough to bruise it you might indeed crush it.

Best

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies