[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"

Sesamo m. sesamox at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 22 10:34:10 EST 2004

The word for "bruise", shûph,  is translated in a different way in
other translations:

"From now on, you and the woman will be enemies, and your offspring and her
offspring will be enemies. He will crush your head, and you will strike his
heel." (New Living Translation)

"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and
her seed; he shall crush thy head, and thou shalt crush his heel." (Darby)

I'm not a native English speaker, but If I'm not wrong, there is a big
difference between "bruise" and "crush". Which is the real meaning (or
meanings) in Hebrew?