[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 and order of ideas

Moshe Shulman mshulman at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 22 10:29:05 EST 2004

At 08:38 AM 12/22/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear list,
>>In a message dated 12/21/2004 7:15:54 PM Central Standard Time,
>>mshulman at ix.netcom.com writes:
>>>  If one interprets when translating one can make a verse mean anything. The
>>>  word 'conceive' is not there.  The problem of the language implying the
>>>  female having 'seed' led to a number of interesting comments by the Rabbis
>>I wont to point out another prophesy, in addition to the promise of a virgin
>>birth, there is also a promise to Satan that he shall have a "seed."  Now
>>that's scarry, Satan with an offspring.
>HH: The Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew does give "conceive" as a meaning
>for the Hiphil of ZR(.

I would probably translate it as conceive also, but that does not really
give the true nuance of the word. As I pointed out, another word is used in
Hebrew when we want to say a women conceived, or became pregnant. I cannot
think of a counter example to this. Remember the assertion made there was
about the use of the word ZR(. This is one of the examples where ZR( is
applied associated with a female and not implying a virgin birth.  (Try
Gen. 16:10) for as similar example.