[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 and order of ideas

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Wed Dec 22 09:51:59 EST 2004

Dear Moshe,

>>Even if one does not take the use of mazriya( in Gen 1:11, 12 to imply that,
>>always, the one who does the hiphil zara(-ing supplies the zera(, Lev 12:2
>>still has the woman as the active agent of the zara(-ing, the "sowing," not
>>as a passive recipient of zera(.
>
>It is definitely a strange usage here, which is what the Rabbis seem
>to have picked up on. I recall seeing an article (I think in BR)
>about women having seed.

HH: Even if the ancient Jews did understand about women producing
eggs, that is not chiefly what Lev 12:2 concerns, I think. It refers
to a woman conceiving and bearing a child. Obviously a woman could
produce eggs but not conceive; producing eggs does not automatically
lead to giving birth. So the relevant point probably was, in in many
other texts, that she conceived and bore. The Hiphil of ZR( here
would seem to include the implanting of the male seed in the wall of
the uterus.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard