[b-hebrew] red heifer

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Dec 22 08:58:27 EST 2004

On 22/12/2004 13:44, Yigal Levin wrote:

>All very intersting, but my question was, why the translators took such a
>general term as "cow" and translated it as the more narrow "heifer". Did
>they have any reason to think that this particular cow was special in any
>way, besides its color?

I would guess that the translators linked Numbers 21:2 with Genesis 15:9
where a three-year-old animal is specified, and with Deuteronomy 21:3
where the animal has never been worked, and so is presumably young. LXX
has DAMALIS in each case, although not everywhere for PARAH e.g. not in
1 Samuel 6:7. So this was the interpretation of the LXX translators,
which in this case might give an indication of ancient practice.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/