[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8 lamo

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Dec 21 07:04:38 EST 2004

On 21/12/2004 01:05, Uri Hurwitz wrote:

> */Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org>/* wrote:
>
>     On 20/12/2004 16:53, Uri Hurwitz wrote:
>
>     >
>     > ..."... In both languages the original meaning was probably
>     > "completeleness, fullness"; (again you'll find examples in both
>     > languages)."
>
>       To which Peter responded:
>     >
>     Again this proves my point: the etymological or "original" meaning is
>     not a good guide to current meaning.
>
>      UH:    Not in the MT where you'll find  many examples  of the
>     original meaning of ShLM   "completion"  both in verbs, e.g. 1
>     Kings 7:51 -- watishlam kol hamelakha , or nouns e.g. "shelamim" a
>     type of sacrifice.
>
>       Uri

Again, this proves my point. The semantics of the ShLM root in Hebrew
are very varied because of semantic shift. Words from this root can mean
"completion", "peace", "greeting" and a kind of sacrifice (and that's
just a start). It is a serious mistake to try to force these different
senses of different words into one meaning. Older translations tried
this by calling this sacrifice a "peace offering", but scholars have
realised that this is a misunderstanding, and so this translation has
now been abandoned.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/