[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8 lamo

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 20:05:12 EST 2004

Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org> wrote:
On 20/12/2004 16:53, Uri Hurwitz wrote:

> ..."... In both languages the original meaning was probably
> "completeleness, fullness"; (again you'll find examples in both
> languages)."

  To which Peter responded:

Again this proves my point: the etymological or "original" meaning is
not a good guide to current meaning.

 UH:    Not in the MT where you'll find  many examples  of the original meaning of ShLM   "completion"  both in verbs, e.g. 1 Kings 7:51 -- watishlam kol hamelakha , or nouns e.g. "shelamim" a type of sacrifice.

  Uri