[b-hebrew] Re: g(r Psa. 106:9

Vadim Cherny vadim_lv at center-tv.net
Sat Dec 18 07:46:28 EST 2004

> PR$ could be either "horse" or "horseman."  If it is taken as referring to horsemen, then it might seem likely that X"YLW would refer to foot soldiers.  I think it more  likely that it should be taken as "his horses" and to understand X"YLW as referring to the warriors who rode in the chariots -- no foot soldiers involved.  The fact that this is a pursuit of a group which already had a head start would indicate that speed was of the essence and  would thus militate against the use of foot. <

Chariots alone cannot fight a battle.

  > In addition there is the admonition of Moses in 14.13

  You might contend that if they escaped they would never see these Egyptians again, but I hardly think that is the significance of this passage.  The clear implication is that every last man of them died. <

  Moses says there is nothing more to fear. The refugees would see no other Egyptians. There would be no other pursuit.

  Vadim Cherny