[b-hebrew] Re: g(r Psa. 106:9

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Sat Dec 18 07:27:58 EST 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:25:45 +0200 "Vadim Cherny"
<vadim_lv at center-tv.net> writes:
> > in the sea.  Nevertheless, it says nothing regarding the foot
> soldiers.
> > To say, "The pharaoh lost not his foot soldiers in the pursuit,
> but
> > chariots, the cream of his army" is unwarranted.  The whole tone
> of the
> > passage is that the entire army was lost.
>
> The psalmist is entitled to poetic license. For the accurate
> account, there
> is the Book of Exodus. And it only says that chariots were lost, not
> a word
> about other casualties.
> As for your theological beliefs, I'd rather not discuss them.
>
> Vadim Cherny
_____________

Are you trying to say that the Psalmist is less historically accurate
than the author of  Ex 14?  I would say that neither is history.  In any
case, my theological viewpoint is every bit as valid as your unfounded
speculations regarding a natural background to the account.  It seems
that this has little or nothing to do with Biblical Hebrew so I suggest
we get back to that.

For you to maintain that foot soldiers were involved you must rely upon
Ex 14.9 which states

WaY.R:D.:FW. MiCRaYiM )aXa:R"YHeM WaY.&YGW. )oWTfM XoNiYM (aL_HaY.fM
K.fL_SW.S ReCeB P.aR:(oH W.PfRf$fYW W:X:YLW (aL_P.iY HaXiYRoT LiP:N"Y
B.a(aL C:PoN

PR$ could be either "horse" or "horseman."  If it is taken as referring
to horsemen, then it might seem likely that X"YLW would refer to foot
soldiers.  I think it more  likely that it should be taken as "his
horses" and to understand X"YLW as referring to the warriors who rode in
the chariots -- no foot soldiers involved.  The fact that this is a
pursuit of a group which already had a head start would indicate that
speed was of the essence and  would thus militate against the use of
foot.

In addition there is the admonition of Moses in 14.13

WaY.o)MeR Mo$eH )eL_Hf(fM )aL_T.iYRf)W. HiT:YaC:BW. W.R:)W. )eT_Y:$W.(aT
YHWH )a:$eR_Ya(a:&eH LfKeM HaY.oWM **** KiY )a:$eR R:)iYTeM )eT_MiC:RaYiM
HaY.oWM Lo) ToSiYFW. LiR:)oTfM (oWD (aD_(oLfM ***

You might contend that if they escaped they would never see these
Egyptians again, but I hardly think that is the significance of this
passage.  The clear implication is that every last man of them died.

george
gfsomsel