[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Dec 17 13:27:38 EST 2004

Vadim:

In a quick scan of the 62 verses where KMW or BMW are found, I did not notice once where they were used in other than the construct state. And as Peter Kirk mentioned, the construct state shortens the vowel under the prefix to a shewa.

Of the 57 verses where LMW is found, the vast majority have the LMW in the ordinate state (did I name it right?), hence the vowel under the prefix L- will be lengthened. This is a grammatical feature, apart from meaning.

Within Biblical Hebrew itself, there is no clue that the -MW suffix existed as other than a unit which, from its use, can be for a singular even though it is more often used for a plural. A speculated etymology may be interesting, but how it is actually used in the text in more important than a speculated etymology.

Karl W. Randolph.