reading unpointed Hebrew text, was [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Dec 17 12:49:23 EST 2004

Peter:

That's a good question. But like Moshe Schulman, I would have to say that it is more due to my familiarity with the language than familiarity with the Bible stories. I often read more Tanakh in a week than a seminary student in a semester.

In my case, I read the OT through only once in English, and that in a translation I found at times hard to understand, namely the KJV. The stories I heard in school were mainly the popular ones, by a long shot not including all those in Tanakh. Therefore I would have to say that most of my Bible knowledge comes from having read it in Hebrew, not English.

The first few times I read Tanakh through in Hebrew, I didn't insist on perfect understanding of every verse, as I realized that my language understanding was more that of a child than a scholar. And like a child learning his first language, I realized that sinking in the language would be the best way to learn it as closely as possible as a native speaker would have known it. Now it is a rare verse that I find puzzling.

I haven't had the opportunity to read many non-Biblical Hebrew texts. An example would be the Josiah stone forgery: when it first hit the news, I found a photograph of the stone to read, as I am familiar with the pre-exilic font used on the stone. As you may remember, scholars quoted in the press were clued to the fact that the stone is a forgery by its "modern use of LBDQ" near the bottom of the text. I noticed anomolies compared to Biblical Hebrew almost from the very top, and I had a list of them by the time I got to LBDQ that, quite frankly, I didn't notice that example as being significant. The whole text just didn't feel right. Another example, when the DSS traveling exhibit was in town some years back, I read the texts and the museum officials were red faced when I pointed out that a couple of the displays were mislabled.

Yes, I still use a dictionary, as I keep forgetting the meanings of lexemes, but on the simpler Hebrew, such as in Samuel, Kings and Chronicles, I may look up one word every few chapters.

Conclusion, it is my knowledge of Hebrew language, not Bible stories, that allows me to read the unpointed text.

Karl W. Randolph.