[b-hebrew] Alleged meaning of ecclesia in OT

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Dec 17 11:17:26 EST 2004

Harold:

Checking the Hebrew, the word ekklesia is used to translate QHL in Hebrew. One time it is used for LHQT and a couple of times it was used to translate the idea of assamblage where neither the specific term QHL nor a  synonym was used.

I noticed that while "ekklesia" in Greek is used to translate QHL, it is never used for MW(D. Which word(s) did the translators of the LXX use for the latter? I thought that calling out for a meeting in Y(D was closer to ekkalew than QHL with its idea of assembling, unless the Greek understanding of ekklesia was necessarily a public assemblage, while MW(D could be and often was a private meeting? What words did the LXX use for Y(D and MW(D? What other words did they use of QHL? ( QHL was not always used for a called out meeting or assemblage, but also refered to a collection of nations, as in Genesis. )

Karl W. Randolph.