reading unpointed Hebrew text, was [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

Moshe Shulman mshulman at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 16 19:55:20 EST 2004

At 07:30 PM 12/16/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Before the Masorites invented the vowel points, all Hebrew was read
>without points with no problem. All I have done is to return to
>pre-Masoritic practice. The pre-Masorites were able to read Tanakh quite
>well, and I find that I prefer to read the unpointed text as it often
>makes more sense.
>All you need is to read in context, know Biblical Hebrew grammar and what
>are the possible pronunciations and acceptable alternate spellings, have
>an understanding of Biblical Hebrew vocabulary, then most of the text can
>be read easily and readily understood. No problem. Oh yeah, occasionally
>you have to analyse a sentence to discern which is the subject, verb and
>object if any, but as long as you know what you are looking for, and what
>is allowed and not allowed from the grammar and written text, and the
>meaning usually follows.

Karl, this is very true. I am quite fluent, and I find that it is easier to
read the texts that do not have vowels then the ones that do. Most of the
printed Hebrew texts do not have vowels.

Moshe Shulman   outreach at judaismsanswer.com 718-436-7705
Judaism's Answer:  http://www.judaismsanswer.com/
Messiah Truth:  http://www.messiahtruth.com/
Outreach Judaism:   http://www.outreachjudaism.org/