[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Dec 16 17:48:20 EST 2004

On 16/12/2004 20:42, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>Karl:
>
>As far as I understand and agree with Peter's argument, it only means that lmo is smihut form of lamo.
>Peter's argument, as I see it, neither explains the origin of lamo (which, in my opinion, is l:hem:o), nor impeaches the collective plural meaning of lamo.

While I dealt with syntax only, not semantics, the implication of the
use of the construct (I assume "smihut" is an alternative for
"construct") is that it has the same semantics as the absolute except
for the linkage to the following noun phrase. So, if the construct is
not semantically plural, neither is the absolute. That is, if lmo can be
used with a singular noun phrase and so is semantically neutral with
respect to number, so is lamo - and the majority use of it in plural
contexts is coincidental.

>The fact that very few instances of lmo may possibly relate to singular is easily understandable, since smihut form evolved into preposition, and its semantics expanded.

Possible, but unlikely in my opinion.

>How do we know that it is lamo, not lmo in Isaiah? ...

It has to be because this is the end of a verse, and of a grammatical
phrase (followed by a WAYYIQTOL verb), and so this cannot be a construct
form - even if the Masoretes messed things up completely.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/