[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

Vadim Cherny vadim_lv at center-tv.net
Thu Dec 16 15:42:20 EST 2004

Karl:

As far as I understand and agree with Peter's argument, it only means that lmo is smihut form of lamo.
Peter's argument, as I see it, neither explains the origin of lamo (which, in my opinion, is l:hem:o), nor impeaches the collective plural meaning of lamo.

The fact that very few instances of lmo may possibly relate to singular is easily understandable, since smihut form evolved into preposition, and its semantics expanded.

How do we know that it is lamo, not lmo in Isaiah? Well, if you don't believe Masoretes wrote absolutely correct, you have no material to study the Bible, since every word could be vocalized differently to suit almost any meaning.

Vadim Cherny