[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Dec 15 14:20:18 EST 2004

On 15/12/2004 18:11, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>>This explains lmo always taking an "object" and lamo never taking one -
>>the former is construct and the latter is absolute.
>>

>But that would mean, they are semantically different, wouldn't it? If lamo
>doesn't take an object, how could it be employed in smihut in the first
>place?

Not at all. The noun PANIYM in the absolute means "face", and takes no
"object", and can be prefixed by L- to give a form LPANIYM. The noun
PANIYM in the construct state, in the form PNEY, means "the face of",
and must be followed by an "object". Prefix L-, and you get LIPNEY which
means "to the face of" and thus "in the presence of", which must still
be followed by an object and functions as preposition.

My hypothesis is that the relationship between LAMO and LMO is the same
as that between LPANIYM and LIPNEY. And I have seen nothing syntactical
or morphological to falsify this hypothesis.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/