[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Dec 15 12:53:45 EST 2004

Yigal:

Let's look at the context as it is written, the interpretation should be a separate subject.

This "cursing of Canaan" takes place shortly after the flood, most likely less than a decade afterwards. Canaan, who was born after the flood, was just a small boy at the time. Noah's words are prophetic, as they refer to the later life of the individuals involved. As a sub-teen, Canaan could not fulfill his later role as a slave to his uncles, that would have to come in the future. Within the context, as written, this is a historical event involving the individuals named, hence LMW in this context is singular.

Now to the interpretations: is this a myth that is not true intended to serve as a metaphore to explain later events (e.g. Israel's invasion and subjugation of Canaan) as many people believe, or is it a record of actual historical events involving the individuals named, as I believe? Does it make a difference as far as analysing the linguistic form of the story itself? I don't think differing interpretations of the meaning of the story should affect a grammatical and linguistic analysis of the story itself. What do you say?

Karl W. Randolph.