[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Dec 15 08:14:41 EST 2004

On 14/12/2004 18:39, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>Peter Kirk wrote:
>

>>But if "The reduced vowel may elongate back to kamatz in pausal", lamo
>>

>is simply the non-pausal variant of lmo, or vice versa. <
>
>You assume that schwa in lmo is a reduction, and therefore might elongate. I don't recall elongation of schwa into kamatz in l:noun form. Why should l:mo elongate, then? The schwa under preposition is not an immediate reduction.

I tend to assume that sheva is always a reduction, except perhaps in
mid-word consonant clusters. I don't know if this is quite true, but
seems to be mostly so.

Sheva after l- does expand to qamats in pause: L:KF lekha > LFK: lakh.
L- also takes qamats and the stress before MFH ma, giving the forms
LF^M.FH, LF^MFH and LF^MEH (GKC 102l). These are not nouns, but then we
are not talking about nouns.

In fact one possibility is that LF^MOW lamo is a variant of LF^MFH, the
variation perhaps being to indicate loss of interrogative force.

See also GKC 102f-i for a whole set of circumstances in which l- takes
qamats "Immediately before the tone-syllable, i.e. before monosyllables
and dissyllables with the tone on the penultima". At least one of these
circumstances (GKC 102h) applies only in pause. And these are mostly
before nouns. But these cases of l- + qamats remain unstressed.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/