[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Dec 13 20:03:01 EST 2004

Vadim:

Where is the indication that this is a prophesy concerning their posterity and not to them personally? Where does it say that Canaan did not personally become a slave to Shem?

You can't use Genesis 49 as an example, as that specifically indicates that Jacob's statement is a prophesy. But there is no such indication in Genesis 9. Therefore I conclude that your claim is an eisegesis done to maintain the fiction that LMW must refer a plural.

Karl W. Randolph.

Karl Randolph wrote:

> You wrote, "Take Gen 9:26, which Harold brings forward as the most
> relevant to singular. Canaan will the slave of Shem. Of course,
> Noah does not speak of one person becoming a slave to another, but
> rather of their posterity. The collective plural of the people of
> Shem is lmo."

Verses 26 and 27 here say nothing about the posterity, just the
individuals are named. Saying that it refers to the posterity is not
exegesis, but eisegesis, where you are adding to the text. <

Canaan did not physically became a slave to Shem. Noah prophecied
about the posterity.

Vadim Cherny