-mw suffix (was Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8)

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Dec 13 19:41:50 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org>

> > Peter Kirk wrote:

> >> So is it possible that LF^MOW and L:MOW are simply different
> >> forms of the same lemma, with a rather regular stress shift? It
> >> looks as if LF^MOW is the pausal form and L:MOW is a reduced
> >> form (cf. a construct) used mostly when phonologically dependent
>
> Note that I have looked only at the forms, not the meanings. But I
> think we need to start this analysis there.
>
> -- Peter Kirk
> peter at qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/

Meaning is where I started my analysis, as I have been using an unpointed text so I don't see the different forms. As for meaning, I don't see difference between the forms.

That -MW is a suffix can be seen in its use attached to nouns (e.g. Deuteronomy 32:37, 33:29, Psalm 2:3), to verbs (e.g. Psalm 2:5, 140:9) and to prepositions (e.g. Deuteronomy 32:23).

That the suffix is almost universally used in poetry makes is possible to say that this may be a poetic form. Yet there seems to be an emphatic meaning to its use, such as in Job 40:4 "to the very mouth of mine" or more smoothly "to my own mouth".

Karl W. Randolph.