-mw suffix (was Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Dec 13 18:25:57 EST 2004

On 13/12/2004 17:13, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>While not impossible, lmo and lamo being the same lemma is unlikely. First,
>schwa expanding into full kamatz is too much. Normally, pausal forms see
>expansion of either short or the reduced vowels, ...

I don't think the facts support this. According to GKC 29m,n the
following pausal changes occur from sheva to qamats:

QF+:LFH > QF+F^LFH
$IM:(W. > $:MF^(W.
):ANIY > )F^NIY

In fact what is happening in such cases is that the pausal form retains
the full vowel which is lost when the stress shifts off it in the
non-pausal form.

>... while schwa in lmo is more
>or less original. ...

What is your evidence for this statement? It can hardly be parsed as
regular l- plus a root mo, because there is no root mo.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/