-mw suffix (was Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8)

Samuel Arnet samuel.arnet at theol.unibe.ch
Sun Dec 12 01:58:11 EST 2004

Hi Yitzhak,

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
> Hello, Samuel and all,
>
> Samuel Arnet wrote:
>
>>Karl Randolph wrote:
>>
>>>The -MW suffix is used well over 170 times in Tanakh, less than a
>>>third of those connected to the L- prefix. When we take into account
>>>all the uses of the suffix, there are several times that it refers to
>>>a singular object. That is more than the at least three times
>>>(Genesis 9:26-27, Isaiah 44:15) that it is connected to the L- prefix
>>>referring to a singular object. Examples include Genesis 19:15
>>>referring to the dawn, Exodus 15:5 where it refers to "a stone",
>>>shall I go on? You need to refer to all of these uses, not to
>>>restrict yourself to those connected to the L- prefix.
>>
>>I was referring here to the form *LF^MOW*; you, however (in the
>>Genesis and Exodus passages mentioned above) to L:MOW and K.:MOW,
>>which are separate lemmas.
>

> I have not followed the discussion.  But looking at the above examples,
> there is no use of L:MOW and it seems that K:MOW corresponds to
> the "MW" suffix applied to K as it is applied to L in LFMOW (I suppose F is
> kamatz, and I guess ^ is a meteg.  I don't remember these offhand.)  I am not
> even sure that the kamatz isn't related to LFMOW being at the sof-pasuk
> whereby had it been a word-prefixed form like K:MOW perhaps it too might
> have taken a "L:MOW" form.

No. This is *not* a matter of pausal (LF^MOW) versus contextual (L:MOW)
forms. LF^MOW may often stand in pause, but the contextual form is the
same, see Job 24:17; Ps 66:7; 119:165; Isa 16:4 etc.

> So some of the examples in Genesis (9:26-7) and the example of Isaiah 44:15
> are all uses of the exact same word as you refer to.  Your comment about
> "L:MOW" then is simply misplaced as it takes Karl's examples and misquotes
> them.

Yes, sorry. I should have written "in the Genesis *19* passage mentioned
above ...", where K.:MOW appears (not L:MOW). What I wanted (but
obviously failed) to say was that both the form L:MOW and K.:MOW are
lemmas for themselves, probably variants of L: and K.: respectively, but
without any pronominal suffix. - L:MOW in fact only occurs 4 times (Job
27:14; 29:21; 38:40; 40:4).

Samuel

--
zu KAHAL, siehe