[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

Vadim Cherny vadim_lv at center-tv.net
Sat Dec 11 03:58:33 EST 2004

Karl,

> Look at 2 Kings 1:1, 3:5,7, 8:20, 22 and so forth: these are examples of vassal nations rebelling against their overlord. P$( in these verses clearly refers to rebellion, and it is often used of man's rebellion against God. (It might mean "crime" in modern Hebrew, but that's irrelevant to this verse.) <

The honest translator must relate the grammatical meaning of the word, leaving it to the reader tho choose from various interpretational possibilities. "A criminal" in English might mean someone who committed a rape or a high treason. Similarly, pesha refers to wide variety of crimes, and no grammatical reasoning justifies, of all these meanings, the narrow and arbitrary "rebellion."

> The construct LMW occures over 50 times in Tanakh. Though the majority of its uses are for plural subjects, it refers to what is unquestionably a singular subject often enough that the numerical value of the -MW cannot be determined from the form. The only people I have run into before who insisted that LMW had to be plural did so for ideological, not linguistic, reasons. <

I have a concordance in front of me. Where, do you think, lmo refers to singular?
Take Gen 9:26, which Harold brings forward as the most relevant to singular. Canaan will the slave of Shem. Of course, Noah does not speak of one person becoming a slave to another, but rather of their posterity. The collective plural of the people of Shem is lmo. We the same concept of "plural as a whole" with suffix -ot, such as Zvaot.

Vadim Cherny