[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Dec 10 16:27:36 EST 2004

Yigal:

In reading Tanakh, I found that the Biblical Hebrew language lacked a generalized term for "sin", rather several specific terms were used: the three most common are (WH or (WWN with the concept of twisting or perverting, P$( with the concept of rebelling and the archery term X+) meaning to miss the target (incidently, when the Jewish writers of the New Testament looked at Koiné Greek and saw it too lacked a generalized term for "sin", they used the archery term referring to missing the target, wonder where they got that idea from?).

Come to think of it, I don't think there is a generalized term for "crime" in Tanakh, while many specific crimes are mentioned, e.g. stealing, kidnapping, murder, etc.

Even in Amos 1 - 2, Amos wrote from a viewpoint that there is only one God who made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that there is in them, and that all the gods of the nations were nothing, connected with the fact that the nations around Israel had heard these claims, so for them to continue following their gods was considered the same as rebellion.

Karl W. Randolph.