[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Dec 10 10:47:39 EST 2004

Dear Dave,

>On Friday 10 December 2004 07:39, Samuel Arnet wrote:
>>  Karl Randolph wrote:
>>  > The construct LMW occures over 50 times in Tanakh. Though the
>>  > majority of its uses are for plural subjects, it refers to what is
>>  > unquestionably a singular subject often enough that the numerical
>>  > value of the -MW cannot be determined from the form. The only people
>>  > I have run into before who insisted that LMW had to be plural did so
>>  > for ideological, not linguistic, reasons.
>>
>>  L/F^MOW is a plural form. For a discussion, and some literature, see
>>
>>  http://whi.wts.edu/WHI/MORPH/BugTracker/7
>
>There was an extended discussion about this around 3 years ago on the
>newsgroup soc.religion.christian.bible-study where several of us pointed out
>numerous passages that can't possibly be plural.  The word can go either way,
>and only context determines its number.  I can try to dig through the
>archives for examples, but can't promise when.

HH: I don't know if Samuel read the entire page of the link he
provided, but it states at the bottom that LMW might be singular a
few times:

In the following 5 cases, it *could* be X3ms but may be X3mp; listed
below are the references in the order of descending likelyhood,
according to Jon-Muraoka:

gn9:26,9.1 L/F^MOW L at PpX3ms “probably”
gn9:27,9.1 L/F^MOW L at PpX3ms “probably”
dt33:2,7.1 L/F^MOW L at PpX3ms “perh.”
dt33:2,18.1 L/F^MOW L at PpX3ms “perh.”
is53:8,14.1 L/F^MOW L at PpX3ms “perh.”

					Yours,