[b-hebrew] My five cents about the name

Vadim Cherny vadim_lv at center-tv.net
Fri Dec 10 09:52:05 EST 2004

I guess there is no room for discoveries in the field of tetragrammaton, but here is a suggestion:

Why don't we take the name as a noun of process, such as ctiva? Then, final hey is the suffix. The first three letters correspond to possessive suffixes for 1, 2, 3 masc.sing. (vowels i, a, u).
The tetragrammaton's meaning could be imagined as "process or result of I, thou, you," or simply "community."

This identification of God with community makes sense of the "holy people" promise.
Also, obviously (and as Milgrom convincingly argues) Leviticus is reinterpretation of pagan rites for ethical purposes, essentially, for achieving a perfect society. This is not far from the community' deification.
Also, we may consider that quite the same process took place in China, where Confucius reinterpreted the ancestral worship in terms of ritual, elevating humanity to divinity.

Vadim Cherny