[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Dec 10 04:39:42 EST 2004

Vadim:

"Exegesis" is merely studying what is there in the text, it is not creating anything new. Recognizing the meanings of words, grammatical structures and context are all part of exegesis.

Look at 2 Kings 1:1, 3:5,7, 8:20, 22 and so forth: these are examples of vassal nations rebelling against their overlord. P$( in these verses clearly refers to rebellion, and it is often used of man's rebellion against God. (It might mean "crime" in modern Hebrew, but that's irrelevant to this verse.)

The construct LMW occures over 50 times in Tanakh. Though the majority of its uses are for plural subjects, it refers to what is unquestionably a singular subject often enough that the numerical value of the -MW cannot be determined from the form. The only people I have run into before who insisted that LMW had to be plural did so for ideological, not linguistic, reasons.

There appears to be over 170 verses where the -MW suffix is used in Tanakh, some verses have more than one use of the suffix. It is affixed to verbs and nouns as well as to prefixes like L-.

Karl W. Randolph.