[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

Vadim Cherny vadim_lv at center-tv.net
Fri Dec 3 13:53:10 EST 2004

> Ben Crick wrote:

 If plural, we may say "my people whose was the blow". If singular, then
 "because of the rebellion of my people the blow came to him" (the Servant).
 The idea is that the individual Servant took the punishment which was due to
 the people collectively, for their rebellion. <

Both translations are quite far from the literal meaning. The Hebrew has four simple words:

"from (because of) [the] crime" "my people" "torment" "to it (collective plural)"

> Karl Randolph wrote:

You can't take the clause alone, and you need to recognize meanings. <

Unless you want to create exegesis, I would caution against such approach.

pesha is crime, not rebellion
lamo refers to collective plural (nation), not to a single person. The order of antecedents confirms the same.

Vadim Cherny