[b-hebrew] Help identify old Hebrew coin

Joseph Fishkin, MD joseph at fishkinmd.com
Sun Dec 5 07:44:46 EST 2004

A man in California recently found an old coin while metal
detecting at low tide in a harbor. The coin clearly has Hebrew lettering,
but he doesn't have access to any Jewish resources near where he lives. He
went online to search for Jewish information, came across my website, and
decided to send me pictures of the coin. It's the size of a US silver dollar,
and has Hebrew lettering on both sides, but I can't figure it out, because
it's clearly not in modern Hebrew. I'm looking for any historical, or coin,
experts who could help identify this coin - I have pictures I can email you.
If anyone has any recommendations who I should show this to, that would be
appreciated as well.

Please help solve this mystery...

Yosi Fishkin, MD
Yosi at FishkinMD.com