[b-hebrew] Re.: Isaiah 53:8

Vadim Cherny vadim_lv at center-tv.net
Thu Dec 2 13:19:01 EST 2004

> In final clause the options seem to be:

1.  ...for the transgression of my people he was stricken.
2.  ...for the transgression of my people to whom the stroke was due.

I lean toward option 1 mainly on the basis of parallelism with the preceding clause and I take it as governed by the niphal perfect nigzar and the singular suffix of lamo.

There is a bit of a difference in meaning in that option 2 expressly says something about the people whereas option 1 focuses on the person leaving conclusions about the people to inference.

Ideas?

Paul Traub
ptraub at juno.com <

>From pressure and from trial he was taken;
And with his generation who would argue
since he was sheared from the land of the living?
Because of the crime of my nation,
torment to it.

You can view the details at www.Yeshayahu.com

Vadim Cherny