[b-hebrew] 998 non-past wyyqtl's, Dave

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Thu Dec 2 12:27:18 EST 2004

Hi Dave, you wrote:
>> But here's where it gets into trouble in Judges 12:11, because it would
>> be
>> natural to expect X-qatal in the second clause.  I agree completely that
>> the
>> second wayyiqtol is a restatement/expansion of the first one; the
>> question
>> is, why did the writer choose to cross the line with a wayyiqtol there
>> instead of using the more natural X-qatal?  I honestly can't think of a
>> reason, because there doesn't seem to be anything particularly noteworthy
>> or
>> special about Elon's term: he judged Israel; he judged Israel for X
>> number of
>> years.  That's it.  So what would be the point of drawing extra attention
>> the number of years by using a "non-standard" wayyiqtol?

I also think that the more expected form for the second "he judged" is
X-qatal.  One ad hoc explanation that I can throw out is that it was very
significant that Elon was from Zebulon.  Zebulon, after all, was a star
among the tribes in Jdg 4 and 5.  In Jdg 12 Elon's connection with Zebulon
is mentioned three times in two vv.  The sense in English would be something
like this:  "And Elon the Zubuloni judged Israel after him, yes, he judged
Israel ten years."

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine