[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

ptraub at juno.com ptraub at juno.com
Thu Dec 2 08:56:42 EST 2004

In final clause the options seem to be:

1.  ...for the transgression of my people he was stricken.
2.  ...for the transgression of my people to whom the stroke was due.

I lean toward option 1 mainly on the basis of parallelism with the preceding clause and I take it as governed by the niphal perfect nigzar and the singular suffix of lamo.

There is a bit of a difference in meaning in that option 2 expressly says something about the people whereas option 1 focuses on the person leaving conclusions about the people to inference.

Ideas?

Paul Traub
ptraub at juno.com