[b-hebrew] 1 Kings 12:33 (was Hebrew calendar)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Aug 31 06:05:57 EDT 2004

On 31/08/2006 10:19, George F. Somsel wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:49:51 -0700 (PDT) Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz at yahoo.com>
>writes:
>

>>sorry about the misunderstanding: I have not reacted to your
>>comments, but specifically to the inaccurate translation of the
>>discussed biblical phrase. The words "He  Alone"-- or any equivalent
>>--are simply not found in the Hebrew original, and not required for
>>clarity or comprhension in English.
>>
>> I'd be curious to hear your, or anyones, comment on this.
>>
>>URI
>>
>>Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org> wrote:
>>On 30/08/2004 17:31, Uri Hurwitz wrote:
>>

>>>Peter Kirk
>>>

>>wrote:
>>

>>>1 Kings 12:33, "on the fifteenth day of the eighth month, in the
>>>

>>month
>>

>>> <>that HE ALONE HAD DEVISED".

>>I should have said that I was quoting NRSV. Anyway, the point seems
>>
>>clear, that Jeroboam had decided for himself on the date of this
>>feast,
>>and that it was not (in the view of the Deuteronomic author) one of
>>the
>>feasts prescribed by YHWH.
>>--
>>Peter Kirk
>>
>>---------------------------------
>>

>Uri,
>
>I'm not sure what your objection is here.  What do you do with
>
>)a:$eR_B.fDf) MiL.iB.oD [Qere:  MiL.iB.oW  ?

I was going to reply to Uri that "alone" is a reasonable dynamic
rendering of millibo = from his (own) heart. Such a use of "heart" in an
English translation is misleading as it suggests an emotional reaction
rather than a determined decision which I think is what the Hebrew means.

But then, after reading George's post, I realise that NRSV could have
been rendering the Ketiv MLBD understood as MIL.:BAD, which could mean
"from (him)self alone".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/