[b-hebrew] Re: Species of genitive (James D. Price)

DrJDPrice at aol.com DrJDPrice at aol.com
Mon Aug 30 23:11:53 EDT 2004

Dave Washburn:
<<
James,
This is fascinating.  I have been working for several  years on the idea that
the construct relation in Hebrew is actually built on  a reduced verbal
clause, a clause built around what I call a "relator" verb  (i.e. one that
semantically denotes some sort of relationship).  I  prefer the term "clause"
over "sentence" and hence I usually notate S as Cl,  but that's mainly just a
quibble over terminology.  In any case, what I  speculate is

N - V(r) - N --> N(cs) - N

which to me looks a lot  like your map above.  What do you think?

It looks very similar. Actually, my theory of phrases goes back to a more
general rule that I propose accounts for all phrases:

X|S(X) * T(ds) ==> X + Modifier

where X may be N, A, D, or V [noun, adjective, adverb, verb]; and T(ds)  is a
deletion-substitution transformation. While the "|" may often be  similar to
a relative pronoun where
X = N, that condition is not necessary in general. S may be a clause in  its
simplest form, but is not limited to a clause.

I presented a paper on the syntax of Hebrew noun phrases a few years  ago at
a regional ETS meeting. Anyone interested in a copy may contact me  off line.

Jim Price