[b-hebrew] 1 Kings 12:33 (was Hebrew calendar)

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 19:49:51 EDT 2004

sorry about the misunderstanding: I have not reacted to your comments, but specifically to the inaccurate translation of the discussed biblical phrase. The words "He  Alone"-- or any equivalent --are simply not found in the Hebrew original, and not required for clarity or comprhension in English.

 I'd be curious to hear your, or anyones, comment on this.

URI

wrote:

> 1 Kings 12:33, "on the fifteenth day of the eighth month, in the month
>that HE ALONE HAD DEVISED".
>
>A more accurate translation of the highlighted biblical words above -- )a$er bada)
>milibo -- would be "that he had invented in his heart" ; the same phrase occurs also in Neh. 6:8.
>
>BD -- "empty, idle, (invented) talk" as in Job 11:3 and elsewhere may well originate from the above.

I should have said that I was quoting NRSV. Anyway, the point seems
clear, that Jeroboam had decided for himself on the date of this feast,
and that it was not (in the view of the Deuteronomic author) one of the
feasts prescribed by YHWH.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/