[b-hebrew] Re: The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?

RGmyrken at aol.com RGmyrken at aol.com
Mon Aug 30 11:17:32 EDT 2004

Dear Joe Baker,

   I can't really evaluate your Setnakht suggestion, but I don't believe that
there is a suggestion of impropriety in Manetho's statement about Or, "This
king, he states, conceived a desire to behold the gods, as Or, one of his
predecessors on the throne, had done."  To see the gods seems a worthy, even
blessed state, and purifying the land of pollutions, as advised by Amenophis son of
Paapis (described as having "wisdom and knowledge of the future") also seems a
positive.  The troubles with the gods apparently began when he put priests
(including Osarseph a priest of Osiris) to work in the quarries.  Osarseph then
became an enemy of Egypt, revived the banished cult of Seth-Typhon, etc.  At
least that's my reading of the passage.

Best regards,
Russell Gmirkin