[b-hebrew] Re: The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?

Joe Baker joebaker at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Aug 30 08:28:38 EDT 2004

Hi all

Russell - The main thrust of my post was to argue that Manetho placed
the "tale" of the expulsion of Osarsiph and his Asiatic allies in the
reign of Setnakht and that an "official" account of this incident is
told in an inscription of Setnakht. Maybe your idea of the anti-Seti
background of Manetho's source is one way of explaining why the name
Amenophis came to replace that of Setnakht.

I am not bound to my Or = Oros = Akhenaten suggestion. I have no
objections if you wish to see him as Horus. Now I know that Manetho
included Orus amongst his first pre-dynasty dynasty of gods (at least
in Eusebius' version). But for me, Manetho's reference to a
"predecessor" implies a more recent king - and not a more distant
ancient god/demigod. It's just seems convenient that the only Oros
that appears in Manetho's dynasty list from 1 to 19 holds the position
where one would expect to see Akhenaten - and I would point out that
Marianne once observed (but now does not hold to it) that Waenre, one
of Akhenaten's most prominent name (places were named after it and his
family used it to refer to him in their epithets) could have been
pronounce like Ware. Also this Or wanted to do something that was
regarded as religiously inappropriate - one aspect that every later
Egyptian would see in Akhenaten. Rather difficult to see how, if this
Or was one of Manetho's ancient god-kings, he would have a desire to
see the gods when he and his parents and family were all gods.

Marianne - On your note that 1 Pharmouti = 27 March 30 BC. Well its
right or rather "about right". I say "about right" because the rules of
intercalation of leap years at this time (from Caesar's introduction
until the final fixing reform of Augustus) were not adhered to. See
articles by Chris Bennett about this mindfield. For this period you
cannot simply equate the contemporary calendars and the "modern" Julian
calendar.

Peter - Thanks for the correction on Rohl. I am well aware of his main
work but I did not know that he had recently corrected his obvious
error. My information about his timeline for dynasty 19 and 20 came
from his (now defunct) web-site. While this web-site is no longer
available directly the page can be retrieved using the archival
internet "wayback machine". This page is archived at
http://web.archive.org/web/20010222202019/http://www.nunki.net/
PerRenput/TimeLines/NCEgypt.html
Here you will see that originally he had Setnakht dying in 866 BC with
Tausert acting as regent from 862 BC before becoming pharaoh and dying
in 855 BC - an impossible 11 years after Setnakht.

Regards
Joe Baker ===========\
Perth                |
Western Australia ===/

Sorry for moving so far off the track of b-hebrew. But I did start by
making some comments on the Egyptian references to a possible exodus.
Next time I will restrict any comments to the topic