[b-hebrew] Learning a language, was "Species" of the Genitive Waltke/O'Connor

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Aug 30 06:55:05 EDT 2004

On 30/08/2004 04:45, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Peter:
>
>This may be the best way to learn most grammar, but it can lead to situations like me: where I understand the text, but cannot explain in grammatical terms why the text should be read in that particular manner.
>
>My English usage is pretty much that way too :-)

It all depends why you want to learn the language. If you want to
understand the text, or even to speak the language, you don't need to
learn the grammatical terms. If you want to teach people old-fashioned
grammar, then of course you need to learn the relevant terms, and sadly
you may need to to argue with those who hold to old-fashioned grammar.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/